Tuesday, November 9, 2010

LOVE = Treadmill

I never thought I'd say this - but I am totally LOVING this machine!
It's been almost three weeks that I've been using it to continue my running workouts (since it is WAY TOO dark and cold to run outside at 6:30am).

Monday-Wednesday-Friday I am out of bed at 6am, dressed and ready to run at 6:30.

For the last week (or more?) I've been running 20+ minute intervals (no walking).  This week I hit 30-minutes of running!

30-minutes.
Running... for 30-minutes straight!

The last time I ran this long without a walk-break I hurt myself (see my Pain. No gain. post).  But today I feel strong and almost ready to try a 5K run.

Monday's workout was the first 30-minute run of the week.  Tomorrow, I'll do it again.  Then again on Friday.  My distance is only about 2.5 miles of running (2.75 with warm-up and cool-down), but that's because I haven't pushed myself faster than 4.4 mph.  Within the next couple weeks, I'll up the speed a bit and, hopefully, get to 3.1-miles in my 40-minute workout.


If I haven't said so recently... the Couch to 5K Running Plan WORKS! 

I am living proof.  I have never been a good runner (I'm still not a great runner), but this program is exactly what someone like me needs to succeed.  Now, I haven't completed the program in 9 weeks like it prescribes, but I'm close (I started about 12-weeks ago)... AND, I'm going to get there, just at my own pace.

A friend of mine asked me to run in Buffalo's Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning.  This is an 8K race (5-miles).  I KNOW I'm not ready to run the 5-mile course, but she says she's going to walk some of it... so maybe I'll join her for a Turkey Trot-Walk-Trot-Walk.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Yae for you! That is awesome! I can only run on a treadmill - outside is too hard - ha ha!