Sunday, March 28, 2010

Why do I Tri?

This post should actually be entitled, Why WILL I Tri?, but I think 'do' sounds better. (...and it's my blog, so I can do what I want.  Pftttthhhh!)

I just finished reading my third (4th?) book on Triathlon.  I'm 14 weeks away from my first event and about an hour away from today's training session - a 3.1 mile run/walk.

In each of the books, the authors talk about "why" - why they do it, why others do it - so I got to thinking about why I'm going to do it.

I never thought about doing a triathlon till my co-worker, Holly, brought it up this winter (I think it was mid-January?)   Even when my neighbor and friend, Jan, completed a Tri to celebrate her 50th birthday last summer I didn't think I could ever be Tri material. 
Holly's timing could not have been more perfect to get me to say 'Yes' to trying a Tri.  I had been working out consistently (4-6 days a week) since October and was feeling that I was in pretty good shape.

So, why am I doing this thing: 1/2 mile swim, 12-1/2 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run?

First & foremost, I think, is to help keep me motivated to continue improving my fitness.  I really like how I feel now that I'm in better shape.  Granted, I have "bad" days (sore/stiff/tired), but for the most part I'm really enjoying my strength, good balance, and feeling of general wellness. 
Training for the Tri has gotten me to start swimming and running.  As mentioned in a previous post, I've never been a runner and had a strong dislike for it.  It's still not my favorite thing, but it's growing on me.  As for swimming, I don't know many poeple who willingly go jump in the water when it's only 19-degrees outside, then leave the high school pool at 8pm with damp hair and smelling like chlorine, but I do!  From what I read, both are excellent ways to burn fat and improve cardiovascular health.

I also really like how I look!  Clothes are truly flattering without trying too hard or having to coordinate an outfit to hide the nasty parts.  I haven't had any drastic weightloss (yet), but dimensions have changed and jiggly parts have become more solid.  If this isn't motivation for a woman, I don't know what is!

Finally, I want to do this to say I've done it.  It's a combination of pride & challenge.  I'm definitely pushing myself to succeed in an event I never thought I'd be able complete and BOY will I be proud of myself if I can. 
I've been going back and forth about setting a goal for myself... some days I 'just want to finish', others it's 'finish within 3-hours'.  Holly thinks we can finish within 2 hours, but I'm not that confident yet. 
I KNOW I will finish.  I know I can finish, even if it means walking the entire 3.1 mile leg and collapsing at the finish line.  Either way, I'm excited to try and I'm committed to training & eating right & resting when I should, so I can face July 3rd with a smile on my face.

Well, it's 12:13pm... the hubby and I said we'd run today around Noon.  Better get off my butt and move along, I've got 3.1 miles waiting for me.


P.S.  There's one more thing this Triathlon has done for me... It's motivated my husband to improve HIS fitness, too.  Nothing like showing him your non-jiggly parts to make him want to get rid of his, too.  Hooray for team fitness!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Yae for you (and hubbie too!)

* elizabeth * said...

Yay! I'm so proud of you guys!

Now tell Matt to tell Paul that he has to run with me! LOL. What's the date of the big tri, anyway? Did I read it and forget already...oh my memory....