Friday, December 10, 2010

Turn the Page... Tuesday

Okay, I know.  It's Friday.  I had every intention of getting this post done on Tuesday, but I just couldn't swing it.

Let's just say, it's been quite a roller-coaster of a month so far.  Maybe I'll blog about it later... but not today.

Today is for books... yet another piece of my life I've neglected recently.  I'm back to reading for enjoyment instead of reading for obligation, so I hope I'll have some good stuff to share next month.


For this month's TTP...T, however, I simply get to say that I (finally) finished River Horse: Across America by Boat by William Least Heat-Moon.

As the title suggests, this is the journal of a man (and his crew) who cross the United States via the American waterways.  They stopped at various towns along the way and comment on noteworthy or historical places & events (Lewis & Clark's expedition is referenced often.)

The story was interesting, and enjoyable, but not very exciting.  Now, if I was on this trip, I would have hoped it would be rather uneventful.  No run-ins with wild animals or bad weather, no overturned boats or seasickness.  But, as a reader, it was a bit of a chore to get thru the voyage.

We read this for Book Club; our meeting was last week.  Out of 30 people, 1/2 did not complete the story due to the "bore factor."  The other half seemed to agree that it was a story of a man's indulgent trip, not very thrilling to the reader, but interesting nonetheless.  Average rating was 3 out of 5.  This was my rating as well.

So, if you're looking for the meandering read of a unique travel book, you might like River Horse.  If you're looking for action-packed suspense... this is definitely NOT the read for you.

Again, sorry for my delay in posting.  Thanks to Adrienne at Some of a Kind for leading this virtual book club every month.  Join in next time!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Better late than never! Glad you got to join in.

Unknown said...

I think I would have a hard time getting this book read. It seems I only get one book read most months. I do love to read but at times only have a few minutes to read each day.