Saturday, February 20, 2010

We had a visitor

I was just complaining that I haven't seen many birds at the suet feeders this winter... when who happens by.... this guy!

(Click on the photos to see them in high-resolution)





He's a Pileated Woodpecker!  And he's one big bird... at least 18" tall, if not pushing 2'.

How cool to see his gorgeous red head - during this time of white and grey.

UPDATE:  Okay, bird watchers... what do you think?  After posting, I visited Cornell's Ornithology website and I think we might have a female Pileated here.  The males have a red "forehead" and "whiskers" while females are red only on the crest.  Take a look and I'll try to get more pictures if SHE shows up again.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

He is just beautiful! We sometimes have a woodpecker visit our backyard (and hammer away ...) but I've never been able to get a picture of him. Maybe this summer!