So, what happened? (do I go chronologically, or in order of importance, or just follow my stream of consciousness?) How about it just start....
- 2009 is the year I REALLY got myself in shape... making what I hope to be a permanent change. February - April I followed the P90X workout program, then fell off the wagon a bit, then jumped back on in October. Since then, I've followed a 3-5 day a week workout schedule (promising myself 30-60 minutes of "good sweating" during each session - whether it's following a DVD, a hike in the woods, or intense yard-work). I haven't lost any weight (?!?), but I feel great and clothes are fitting in more flattering ways, so I'm happy.
- I blogged a LOT more and met some amazing other bloggers in the process. I made a point to post comments on blogs I wandered onto (I LOVE "blondering" - blog-wandering - clicking on links on blogs to other bloggers' sites and then clicking on a link at that site and so on and so on and so on).
- I also participated in the 12-of-12 regularly. What's the 12-of-12? ...check out my site.
- OH, and the home improvements of 2009...
- It started with the "guest" bathroom upstairs (a carry-over from late-2008). I cannot be happier with how it turned out. It went from vomit-pink wallpaper with green tub/toilet to "pretty in green" coordinated bathroom. Want to see??? Click here.
- Next, I FINALLY turned the Room-that-holds-junk-you-don't-know-what-to-do-with Room into a Guest Room... then had GUESTS!! Yay! From my 8-year-old niece (who calls it her room and spent a handful of nights/weekends with us) to REAL guests - new friends from Massachusetts; the door is open now, awaiting it's next visitor. Wanna see?? Here's the transformation gallery.
- With the Guest Room renovations, I lost my office space. But that's okay! My desk is in the loft now which has an AWESOME little reading nook now that I put curtains over the closet doors and got a "new" chair. I blogged about it here.
- Finally (the last project of the year) was a repaint of my front hallway. It was my first painting project when we moved here 5+ years ago and I've hated it since day 1. I wanted a nice earth-tone mauve-brown. I got pink. No. Don't like pink (on walls). Now I have a great mango-apricot color. MUCH BETTER! I have a photo of it... somewhere.
- On the "crafty" side of things... well, I knitted my first hat (then a 2nd), learned how to tie a number of ornamental knots, "refinished" an old treasure-chest looking antique chest, and cooked up a storm - from new and unique stuff to healthy stuff to jars and jars of jam. I made venison tenderloin for Christmas Eve dinner and it was out of this world.
- I went to the movies... TWICE! I know, it doesn't seem like that should be a big deal. But, for me, it is. The closest theater is about 25 miles away and my Hubby is a complete isolationist. Those things combined make getting to the movies virtually impossible. Which is probably why the 1st time was with my Niece (we saw 'UP' in 3D) and the 2nd time was with my Dad (we saw 'Avatar', also in 3D). Both were AMAZING. I'm thinking I might need to see Avatar again before it moves to DVD... the computer graphics blew me away.
- I kept my job! For those of you who don't know, my company has laid off large numbers of people on the 1st of December for the last two years. Last year was not as "easy" as this year. Last year I got "displaced", but then was quickly scooped up by my 2009 boss and, subsequently, had a FABULOUS sales year. I went from being ranked 57 out of 63 in Q1 to #1 in Q3!!! Needless to say, my manager was less than thrilled when he found out the company transferred me to a new territory for 2010. It's been a roller-coaster of a year - uncertainty combined with success, but oh well. Change is good - and having a job in this sluggish economy is even better.
- As for the family...
- The hubby and I celebrated the fact that we've been together as a couple for over 20 years. That's over HALF our lives! What's even better is that we have a fantastic relationship and it just keeps getting better. We really are best friends and truly complements to each other.
- "The kids" have mellowed a LOT this year. They each turned five, one in February & one in April. Mackie still has a ton of energy and gets mad at us if we don't walk on a regular basis, but Bug just wants to "chill". He's turned into the total couch-potato Mastiff. Just hug him & feed him and he's happy. I guess that could be said for all of us, tho, couldn't it.