Monday, January 18, 2010

Accountability...

... or is it vanity?

I'll let you decide.

Almost one year ago, the hubby and I started the P90x program.  It's 3-months of INTENSE 60-90 minute workouts for six out of seven days a week.  We did it from (approximately) February 5 - May 15, 2009.  We both had good results, but determined it was not a realistic program to use for maintenance.  In other words, we quit.

I spent the summer going on occasional walks with the dogs and doing little projects around the house - nothing I would consider an a real exercise routine.

Mid-October, I started something new.  I made a commitment to myself to sweat 3-5 days a week.  This could be a workout DVD, hike with the dogs, hauling firewood, etc.  So long as I got my heart-rate up to a cardio level for at least 30-60 minutes, I counted it.  I also kept track of my workouts on my calendar so I could see when I met my goal and when I didn't.

December '09, I made a new commitment.  I get out of bed at 5:30am (weekdays) and do 25-30 minutes of cardio... every day.  Weekend days are either a rest day, hiking day, or a long workout day (60-90 minutes) - one day of rest, one calorie-burning day.

By the way... I haven't really changed my eating habits.  I eat what I want and I LOVE food.  I try to include veggies each day, try not to pig out during meals and can't remember the last time I had fast food, but I will indulge my sweet tooth occasionally and have a thing for sugary cereals for dinner.  But anyway... I digress.


These last few weeks I have been excited about working out each morning.  5:30 felt very early the first couple weeks, but my attitude has changed.  I LIKE working out - and I LOVE the results.  These last few days I have been feeling REALLY strong.  I've barely lost any weight, but I can tell, fat has turned into muscle - and I'm lookin' good!

Today is January 18, 2010.  Thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, I have the day off.  Since it feels like a "weekend" day, I did 80 minutes of P90x.  Afterward, I did something I don't usually do.  I grabbed the camera and snapped some photos of myself.

Do I post them here???
I'm scared.

This is my 1-year documentation. 
I called this post 'Accountability' - so here I am.  I am totally committed to keeping myself healthy in 2010.    I hope to be able to post even better results in January 2011.

So here it goes... 
"Before" - Flabby me (Feb 2009)


"Work in progress" - Stronger me (Jan 2010)
  

 

3 comments:

Mike Minzes said...

I'm digg'en this blog. I will be back for more!

Adrienne said...

Yae for you! You look fabulous already ~ keep at it girl!

* elizabeth * said...

Great shots! Good for you!!!! I wish we had room for some equipment here!